Liposuction is a cosmetic surgical procedure intended to remove unwanted or excess body fat by suction. Liposuction is mostly done on the thighs, hips, buttocks, abdomen, back, arms, neck and face. It is not suitable for removing subcutaneous fat everywhere. Rather, it is reserved for specific areas where the bulge of fatty tissue is located just beneath the skin’s surface.
Liposuction is also used to remove excess fluids which accumulate in body parts, such as around joints or under slabs of loose skin with certain diseases that produce such symptoms as scleroderma and lymphedema.
Liposuction can be done by a plastic surgeon, dermatologist from aesthetic clinic, cosmetic surgeon or a general practitioner with a special interest in this procedure. It is used to address numerous concerns including: improved appearance of specific areas on the body; removing localized fat deposits which cause physical discomfort, distorts body contours or contribute to an unaesthetic appearance; improving the proportion of the body’s shape, for example during pregnancy.
Benefits of liposuction:
1. There is less pain compared to when patients have other body surgeries such as tummy tucks or face-lifts which involve the tightening up of the skin in order to tighten it.
2. Recovery time is faster than when you undergo a tummy tuck or face-lifts.
3. There is no visible scarring which helps in camouflaging the surgery site because it has been done internally through the insertion of a thin tube known as cannula which helps with suctioning of fat, but some would rather opt to have a small incision give by a dermatologist near the area of surgery.
4. In terms of money, liposuction has a higher return on investment because it is less expensive compared to other surgical body contouring procedures such as a tummy tuck or a face lift.
5. It doesn’t interfere with your daily activities and you can resume them even the day after surgery or at the earliest the day after.
6. There is minimal downtime so you can go back to work as you’d like, although some may require a week of light duty and several days of taking it easy.
7. You get a flat tummy or see your problem areas disappear because more than likely you’ll be able to lose the fat that was removed with liposuction.
8. You get professional results because the doctor has to be an expert in liposuctioning and also has to know how much fat should be suctioned out of your body; you can expect a better, faster result if you visit an experienced plastic surgeon or dermatologist who is both board certified and whom has lots of experience in using the liposuction machine.
9. Particularly good for people who have had children and need to get rid of stubborn fat on their abdomen, arms, thighs and buttocks; it is also effective for those who are obese as well as those who want an overall smoother appearance to their body; especially female patients that cannot lose the fat using diet and exercise.
Finally liposuction is commonly used by plastic surgeons to get rid of fat that does not respond to diet and exercise, by dermatologists for treating the neck, back, arms, abdomen or thighs, by gynecologists for clearing up skin folds around the vulva. This article explains everything you need to know with liposuction.